Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Restaurant and The Mob

We have become that family that other people glare at when we go out to eat. That's right, we're the parents of a two year old.

I don't know what it is about restaurants. #2 can be a completely happy and wonderful baby before hand. Like this:



But as soon as we cross the doors of a restaurant he is a rowdy, riled up,screeches his head off, demon child. (I'd show you a picture, but I had my hands full trying to calm him down!)

This isn't our first time at the rodeo. We battled two year old toughness before. But maybe it's because we've gotten older, or maybe #2 is a new breed of toddler that's going to conquer the world by screeching us to death.

We bring toys, and our phones, keys, his blankie, at least two stuffies...and we got nothing. He won't sit in his high chair. He doesn't want to sit at the table. He doesn't want to eat, but he doesn't want the food to be taken away. He doesn't want the waitresses to come over. He also doesn't want them to stay away.  And he his very..eh hem...vocal..about what he wants.

Which in turn leads people to stare. And I get it, I do. They wanted to come out and enjoy a nice meal, and my child keeps throwing his french fries at them and screaming (I'm exaggerating....but only about the french fries.)

But people don't just stare. They roll their eyes and give us dirty looks. Which I think is a little uncalled for. Have they ever been around a toddler? Sometimes they just have to wail. For whatever reason it just so happens to always be when we're out to dinner, but still.  I totally give the dirty looks back, but am I expecting too much to think people could be more understanding? Or at lest less rude? I don't glare at the other moms, dads and baby sitters with the screaming children because I've been there! I feel your pain! Shouldn't people extend the same?

What do you think? Have you been caught out in public between a crying little person and a mob of angry glarers?






0 comments:

Post a Comment